1View / pay bill, change service and more!
Why build an energy-efficient home?
Wiregrass Electric Cooperatives home energy standards allow homeowners to enjoy a more efficient home, which translates into something we can all enjoy — savings.
The following specifications were designed to help WEC members with building or remodeling an energy efficient home that is all-electric.
Building standards incorporate energy-saving features into building and remodeling plans:
- R-15 wall insulation minimum
- R-38 Attic insulation minimum and R-26 for roof/ceiling applications
- Attic ventilation required
- Recommend R-19 floor insulation for closed and opened carwl spaces
- Double pane Low-E windows with a U-value of .35 or less required
- Insulated doors
- Electric or geothermal heat pump required
- Electric water heating with a .90 energy factor required
- Exterior house wrap
- Recommend duct be located in conditioned area or must be insulated with a minimum of R-6 in unconditioned space
Split and packaged heat pumps must demonstrate a minimum SEER of 15 or more. Minimum Heat Season Performance Factor (HSPF) must be 8.5. HVAC equipment will be sized per the Manual “J” calculation.
Contact WEC’s energy expert for a free home energy audit at 1-800-239-4602 or email email@example.com .
Download the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Savers booklet.
Under the Touchstone Energy Home Program, Wiregrass Electric Cooperative will provide a free high-efficiency water heater if you qualify. Learn more about water heaters here.
- Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency
- Dept. of Energy’s Energy Efficient Home website
- Dept. of Energy’s Energy Savers website
- Still Placing Ducts in the Attic? Consider Burying Them
- Designing Forced-Air HVAC Systems
- Ventilating Your Home
- Guide to Durable Attics
- Guide to Energy Efficient Windows
- Guide to Home Heating & Cooling
- Guide to Home Insulation
- Guide to Home Landscaping
- Guide to Kitchen Appliances