Our members are at the heart of everything we do.

WEC funds scholarships, youth leadership tours, community improvements and more. Click here to learn more.

Youth Tour

Youth Tour 2020. Wiregrass Electric Cooperative. A PowerSouth Energy Cooperative. This could be you! 10 students will win the Montgomery Youth Tour trip AND a $500 scholarship. 3 students from the Montgomery Youth Tour will go on to win a spot on the Washington, D.C., Youth Tour AND an additional $500 scholarship. All you need to do: 1. Grab an application at Wiregrass.coop or from your guidance counselor. 2. Brag about yourself. Tell us your work experience, school involvement, community involvement and extracurricular activities. 3. Do some research. You’ll need to know the names of your representatives, senators, etc. 4. Get parent and school consent. 5. Put a stamp on it and drop it in the mailbox. Sent it to: Wiregrass Electric Cooperative, P.O. Box 158, Hartford, AL 36344. The Youth Tour is open to high school juniors who are dependents of a member of Wiregrass Electric Cooperative and attend a school in the Wiregrass area. “It was a great opportunity for me to learn so much about our country’s rich history and the sacrifices of so many before us that have helped us all enjoy the freedom we have today.” Sydney Stewart, 2018 WEC Youth Tour delegate. “I would tell everyone to take the opportunity to go on this trip. It is a life-changing experience, and I would go again in a heartbeat.” Victoria Zinn, 2019 WEC Youth Tour delegate. “It helped shape me. The Youth Tour opened me up and opened my heart to new experiences and new cultures.” Collin Craig, 2015 WEC Youth Tour delegate.

High school juniors will have a blast – and learn something in the process! Meet new people from across the state and across America! And best of all – IT’S FREE!

Youth Tour to Montgomery

Wiregrass Electric sponsors several high school juniors to the Alabama Rural Electric Youth Tour to Montgomery each year for a three-day conference/tour March 10-12, 2020. High school juniors who have one parent or guardian who is a member and receives electric service from Wiregrass Electric Cooperative are eligible to participate in the competition. Wiregrass Electric will award a $500 scholarship to each student chosen to attend the Montgomery Tour, then an additional $500 scholarship for the two students chosen to attend the NRECA Washington trip.

Interested? Fill out an application and return by Jan. 10, 2020. Tours include the State Capitol, the Alabama Legislature, State Archives and Rosa Parks Museum.

Youth Tour to Washington, DC

From the Montgomery Youth Tour participants, two outstanding students are chosen to attend the NRECA Rural Electric Youth Tour to Washington, DC. Students are selected by interview to represent Wiregrass Electric with students from throughout Alabama for a week-long trip to our nation’s capitol. Special sites of interest include the Lincoln Monument, Mount Vernon, Arlington National Cemetery, the White House, and the House of Representatives. Students will meet with Alabama Legislators as they join almost 1,500 students from across the United States. Tour dates to Washington, DC are June 19-25, 2020.

Interested? Fill out an application and return by Jan. 10, 2020.

Alabama Rural Electric Youth Tour Website

National Youth Tour Website