Our members are at the heart of everything we do.

WEC funds scholarships, youth leadership tours, community improvements and more. Click here to learn more.

Forms and Frequently Asked Questions


Apply For Service (Electronic form) Report Outdoor Light Out  (Online)
Deposit Information Apply for Outdoor Lighting (Online)
Rental Property Information Form Apply for Outdoor Lighting Form
Apply for Levelized Billing (Online) Apply for Surge Suppression (Online)
Apply for Levelized Billing Apply for Surge Suppression Form
Sign up for Triple Play Easement
Apply for E-Bill  (Online) Underground Service Agreement
E-Bill Authorization Form Line Retirement Agreement
Pay by Bank Draft Sign up for Green Power Choice
Sponsorship Request Form Update Phone Number  (Online)
Cooperative Youth Tour Application Change Mailing Address  (Online)
2017 Youth Tour Application Change Account Name/Deceased Spouse
Christmas Card Application Request for Joint Account
Vote as Corporation at Annual Meeting Request to Discontinue Joint Account
Vote as Partnership at Annual Meeting Vote as LLC at Annual Meeting
Irrevocable Letter of Credit Form Service Terms and Conditions
Service Rules and Regulations PrePay Form (Online)
Pre-Pay Agreement


Manufactured Home Specs Temporary Service Specs
Underground Service Specs Temporary Service in Subdivision
Service Equipped for House Weatherhead


H2O Plus Water Heater Form


Sanitation Bank Draft Form Houston Co. Sanitation Holiday


Sign Up for Green Power Form Green Power Illustration


H2O/Water Heater Brochure Media Information Kit
Generator Safety Electrical Fire Prevention
Look Up Look Down Brochure Energy Savers
Commercial Energy Savings Guide Energy Savers (Spanish)


Industry Update

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How long will Wiregrass Electric hold my deposit?
  • How much deposit will I have to pay to get my electric service?
  • What are my payment options?
  • What if my bill is late?
  • How do I get a password to access my account online?
  • What is levelized billing, and how can I qualify?
  • What is wholesale power cost adjustment?
  • What is a facilities use charge?
  • How do I set up my account for automatic payments?
  • How can I have underground power lines located that are on my property?
  • How can I change my billing address?