Severe weather affects the lives of thousands of people each year, especially in the southern part of the United States. People who understand severe weather — and know what to do before and after severe weather hits –can significantly reduce injuries and property damage. Wiregrass Electric Cooperative wants you to be knowledgeable about severe weather — and to provide you with steps you can take to protect yourself and your family. We have provided information here on severe weather and safety. Remember, the time to plan is not when severe weather hits — you must be prepared long before the storm is ever forecast.View Hurricane Tracking Map (PDF)
Sign Up For Mobile Alerts Through Alabama SAF-T-Net®
Alabama Specific Alerting for Threats (SAF-T-Net® ) is your personal weather siren, a fully automatic and patented weather alerting system that uses text messages, email, or phone calls to warn you ahead of the storm–only when you’re affected. Wiregrass Electric Cooperative has joined SAF-T-Net’s network of media partners to keep our members a few steps ahead of the storm.
SAF-T-Net is offered at no cost in Alabama, and residents can enroll by simply downloading the app from the App Store. SAF-T-Net is available for iPhones and Androids. Visit the Baron weather website for more information or to sign up.
- National Weather Service (NWS) tornado warnings
- NWS severe thunderstorm warnings
- NWS flash flood warnings
- Twisting storm alerts (exclusive to SAF-T-Net)
- Dangerous storm alerts
- Custom messages containing alert or safety information from local participating emergency management officials
The free SAF-T-Net weather notifications can be received several ways:
- Through the Alabama SAF-T-Net app, available for free at the app stores on iOS and Android devices
- A text-capable mobile device
- Automated phone calls to landline phones