As summer approaches, Wiregrass Electric Cooperative employees gear up for hurricane season by ordering extra supplies and reviewing response plans. WEC members can prepare similarly by following these tips:
- Purchase a weather radio. This will keep you informed of the latest watches and warnings as a tropical system approaches.
- Create an evacuation plan – especially if you live in flood-prone areas. Tell family members or friends where you plan to stay during evacuation.
- If you opt to stay home during a hurricane, prepare an emergency kit. Kits should include water, nonperishable food items, batteries, flashlights, medications and other items.
- Before a storm, protect your home by installing storm shutters or boarding up windows. Trim large limbs that could fall and damage your home or vehicles.
- Clean gutters to prevent unnecessary flooding.
- Update important documents, like insurance information, in case they are needed for emergency response.