Stay Warm, Jolly & Safe

Boy stringing holiday lights on houseAs temperatures cool, the risk of accidents and house fires caused by unsafe holiday lighting and improper use of space heaters skyrockets. Fortunately, warming up your home and decking the halls safely is easier than you may think. Simply follow these safety tips:

  • Don’t string too many holiday lights together, and avoid plugging in more than three strings of lights in the same plug.
  • If you are using a space heater, make sure it has adequate safety features such as auto shut-off. Never leave a space heater unattended, and always keep it at least 3 feet from anything that could melt, char or catch fire.
  • Never leave a candle burning when you leave the house or go to bed, especially when children are present. Instead, consider reusable LED candles — they light up the room without the fire hazard.
  • Never use indoor holiday lights and extension cords outside. Always make sure these items are approved for outdoor use.